« Home | My juices are flowing... Creatively that is. Or ... »

COLLECTOR MENTALITY

When I was younger, I was obsessed with collecting comics. Not because of a particular writer or artist. Not because of any investment possibilities (although there were some of that too) but simply because I wanted to collect every issue...sayang kasi. There was a point that I was buying 16 comic books a month...which led to many a missed lunch since my student's allowance went almost exclusively to filbars.

As I started working, I shifted to collecting music. I needed to own a copy of my most favorite songs. Pirated CDs came out then I discovered the magic of mp3s from the net. I spent hours rummaging through pirated bins and don't even ask me about the endless nights I was up watching my songs download from audiogalaxy or kazaa.

Now, I am building a massive pirated DVD collection. I have almost all my favorite movies and a few that I bought for the sake of buying movies. I'm enjoying the fruits of all my labor and thousands spent (If I actually just saved the money I spent on all the comics and cds and dvds, I'd probably be able to put a downpayment on a car.)

But where's the fun in that?

I have come to the realization that I have a collector's disease. I need to own a copy of every song, every movie. I spend hours obssessing over my collections.

I'm Jay and I'm a collecting addict.

And proud of it. The music I got has entertained many a person who would have to type on my computer and has led to the greatest compilations of music to ever be burned and played on my cd player in the car. The dvds I've bought have led to many a movie marathon with my friends, allowing us to spend quality time together vegging out in front of the tv and actually talk and hang out when our eyes couldn't take the strain anymore.

My collection obsession has brought joy to the world. And that's a good thing.