« Home | HELL WEEK » | A BULLET WITH MY NAME ON IT » | TAGGED AGAIN » | TAG I'M IT » | BORA AND BAILEY'S » | A LITTLE FALL OF RAIN » | MY ONE REGRET » | 141 THINGS HAPPENING. 141 THINGS TO DO. » | HOLY (CRAP) WEEK » | WICKEDPEDIA »

RADIO GA-GA

"Hi, what's your name and what are you wearing?"

That used to be my usual greeting whenever someone would call the station during my DJ days. I got to thinking about that stage in my life last Thursday, when I caught a cab to QC for a dinner appointment. The cabbie was listening to 99.5 RT (I know, I was surprised myself) and they had this show on about cars. They'd usually field questions from listeners and they had one particular caller who cracked me up.

The DJ put the listener on air and asked him for his question. The guy even asked if they wanted a long question or a short one. He was answered with "Any question will do," so he then starts asking what to do if a girl he liked didn't feel the same way back.
It was so hilarious, even the taxi driver was laughing his head off.

I guess you had to be there.

Anyway, it got me reminiscing about my days as Jay Bounce of Magic 89.9. It actually got me thinking what were my favorite radio moments. Thought I'd list them here for posterity's sake. Plus, my memory's not what it used to be.

1. FIRST TIME ON AIR
The first time I went live on air was in college. I had an assignment for Ruey de Vera's Feature Writing class so I chose to do a day in the life of then RX Monster Jock Bruce Romano (Ferdie Verayo in real life). He was a teacher by day and a DJ by night and I felt that was a compelling topic. So, I headed off to Strata 1000 at 2 in the morning to sit in on Bruce's shift and pander him with questions. Finally, at about 5:12 AM, Bruce asked me if I wanted to go on air. I said yes and he introduced me to the audience. We chit-chatted a bit then he asked me to introduce a song. I asked him to play Tulog by South Border because that's what I was hoping to do right after. He played it and I closed it out with a "Keep it here on the first creative pop station, Monster Radio RX 93.1."

I was thrilled beyond belief and I was hooked. I knew someday, I would end up behind the mic. And I did and the rest is history.

A history I'll get into in a later chapter. This entry is long enough as it is.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

i never heard you on air. wish i did. then i would have slaved you into playing my choice tunes of lore. LOL.

Post a Comment