« Home | WHY WE DO IT » | I NEED A BEER » | WAKE ME WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS » | WHEN IT RAINS... » | FINDING THE RIGHT WORDS » | SPENT » | NUMBER 200 » | BAD DAY » | OF MACS AND MEN » | FOR ERIN »

ME TIME

Wow, I actually have time to blog.

And sleep.

And watch DVDs.

And have a massage.

We finally have a down period...there seems to be some major projects just waiting around the corner, but right now, at this moment, I can afford to take it a little easy.

In my industry, times like these come so few and far in between that you really have to appreciate them and make the most of it. I actually feel like writing about stuff other than work.

As I looked over the latest batch of DVDs I bought, my eyes were drawn to Adam Sandler's Click. Aside from the fact that it was a movie I saw with "Bubbly", I remember it for its one powerful scene. Although my friend and fellow blogger Jim will disagree, I really loved the "death" scene in the movie. It was so powerful and emotional that I actually cried the first time I saw it (of course, I only admitted crying when I saw Bubbly pull out some tissues to wipe the tears off her face). It also got me to think about other movies with similar powerful/memorable scenes. I bet you have your own list but allow me to indukge in my perosnal favorites.

BIG FISH
The scene when the son takes over his father's story and carries him from the car to the river stands out in my memory. As thy make their way to the riverbank, the path is lined up with characters from different parts of the movie. It really captures a feeling of immense joy and catharsis which I really enjoyed.

DEAD POETS SOCIETY
Who can forget scrawny Ethan Hawke climbing on top of his desk and voicing his support for his teacher, Robin Williams, by shouting "Oh captain, my captain!"? I was in high school at the time and as an outsider in the honors class, it really struck a chord in me at that impressionable age.

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
Another movie that I could relate to my own experiences. I saw it when I just got back to Ateneo after spending a year in Angelicum and I couldn't hlp but see myself in Tim Robbins' character's story. I loved the scene where he crawled through the shit and emerged on the other side of the river. As he tore off his prison suit and embraced the rain as the camera craned away...wow.

SCENT OF A WOMAN
The tango scene is my favorite part of the movie. It was graceful and the natural acting of Gabrielle Anwar was so charming. Besides, who doesn't love a tango?

I have a long list but these are the five scenes that really stood out for me. What's yours?