« Home | I NEED A BEER » | WAKE ME WHEN SEPTEMBER ENDS » | WHEN IT RAINS... » | FINDING THE RIGHT WORDS » | SPENT » | NUMBER 200 » | BAD DAY » | OF MACS AND MEN » | FOR ERIN » | WALKING ON AIR »

WHY WE DO IT

I got a call from my brother Ganns the other day. I picked it up and instead of his usual bubbly, high-spirits (was gonna say high-pitched but decided against it - haha!) greeting, I got a cry for help. He just started at Agatep and Associates, one of the oldest PR firms in the country. In the weeks before he started, he was optimistic and hopeful. He just landed his dream job and was thanking his Lord and Savior for the blessings.

What a difference a few weeks can make. It looks like he was swamped the moment he set foot in the office. I remarked in his blog that this field really isn't for everybody. He has a loving family to come home to and that he adores greatly. The late nights and high-pressure to deliver can break even the strongest spirit.

I'm not saying that I'm stronger than Ganns. No-sir-ree. I've just been in this line of work for far too long. You could say I grew used to it - that I do love it, the way a moth can't stay away from the flame. Besides, there's no greater fulfillment for me than to see an ad I came up with come to life on print, radio or tv. There's a certain pride in that.

In the end, Ganns will live a long and happy life with his great-grandchildren.

I'll be dead at 40 and rotting in hell for putting people in debt and giving them lung cancer.

But as I said, you gotta love it. It took me two years away from this field to realize that.