« Home | MY BROTHER GANNON You guys should really check ou... » | Happy easter everyone! Here's to new beginnings a... » | It's Black Saturday so in my religion, we commemor... » | From one newbie to another, I'd like to welcome my... » | JUST FRIENDS Once upon a time, I fell in love wit... » | NO REGRETS I's amazing how my Friends DVDs are in... » | FRIENDS Fell asleep the other night watching seas... » | BRAIN DRAIN Just a few days ago, one of my classm... » | COLLECTOR MENTALITY When I was younger, I was obs... » | My juices are flowing... Creatively that is. Or ... »

My friend Joey was over at the house the other day to shoot the breeze and to return one of my DVDs (The Virgin Suicides - Sofia Coppola's first directorial effort). Aside from casting who would play our classmates if ever they made a movie about our high school section (Jack Black would play me...Billy Zane would play Joey...Daniel Stern as Jim and William Hung as AA - hey Joey said it...not me), we talked about our batch and who we would consider successful. Joey felt that if you made a name for yourself then you were a success. By his definition, the only ones we could come up with were Jimmy Bondoc, Paolo Santos, Sandy Arespacochaga (ADMU head coach) and Wimpy Fuentebella (why Wimpy, why?).

I beg to differ.

And this is coming from someone who craved and achieved a semblance of fame during my short-lived stint as a DJ.

I believe that no one can be a better judge of our success than ourselves. It would take a lot more than people outside your circle knowing you to achieve this. Personally, this is what I believe in. We set our goals. We achieve them. That makes you a success. In whatever field we choose, there won't always be legions of fans or people chanting your name (hey, I had groupies myself)...but as long as you did what you had to and wanted to do in life. then you're okay in my book.