« Home | FADING AWAY My Grandma has Alzheimer's Disease. T... » | GUILTY PLEASURES What's a guy to do with so much ... » | REPORTING FOR DUTY Sorry I've been away for a whi... » | HAPPY ENDINGS A few weeks ago, I had to sit throu... » | THE NUMBERS GAME There's a game I once played wit... » | BEEN A WHILE Sorry for not posting as often as I ... » | BACK TO REALITY I have to admit that I'm a sucker ... » | My dear friend Lyra Dumdum was lucky enough to fal... » | My friend Joey was over at the house the other day... » | MY BROTHER GANNON You guys should really check ou... »

THERE'S STILL A NEED FOR SPEED

Eleven years ago, my friends and I put up a student organization in Ateneo when we were just freshmen. The first year was really the toughest to bear. We were all friends, so discussions about the org became personal and not all of us were really commited to the cause. Some of us were really more interested in setting up the org rather than helping the kids we visited every week.

That org was, and still is SPEED. The Special Education Society of Ateneo. Sespite all our mistakes, we must have done something right. A few years later, we received Ateneo recognition as an official member of the Council of Organizations and haven't relinquished it since. There's now an org-room, countless alumni e-groups and a current membership more passionate and commited than any I have ever seen. 11 years later, we've outlasted many other orgs that appeared at the same time, and even later than we did. Last year, SPEED won an award for being the Most Improved Org and this year, membership is at an all-time high (139 members and counting).

It's nice to have a legacy...it'll be nicer still if there'll always be a need for SPEED.