« Home | THEATRICS » | DIRTY POOL » | CRAPPY HOLIDAYS » | MERRY QUIZMAS » | HUMBUG OFF » | FUNDING THE INSURGENTS » | LIFE AND DEATH » | AUGH! OH GOOD GRIEF! Somehow, I always knew it. N... » | CHECKMATE It's game over for Da King and his croni... » | KNOCKED OUT I was one of the millions of Filipinos... »

BABY TALK

The Bad news.
Last December, one of my best friends Mic sprang it on us that she was pregnant. And that she was getting married. After we were able to push our eyes back into their sockets and retrieve our jaws from the floor, we congratulated her and wished only the best.

Two days ago, she celebrated her birthday and again most of wished her a happy and healthy childbirth.

Unfortunately, God had other plans and took back the little angel He bestowed on her.

I got the text message yesterday. I called her soon after. She sounded weak and there was a definite tinge of loss in her voice. The closest I'd ever seen her that sad was when she had a fight with one of our best friends.

For once, I didn't know what to say. I stammered and muttered out something to the effect that I was sorry and that I was here for her. Little good that would do...she's all the way in Bicol. There was a sliver of hope though when she told me that she was going to try again.

And that the wedding was on. The only thing I can do is pray for her to ease her loss. I ask you to do the same.

The Good news.
On a lighter note, in my requests for prayers for Mic, I got a response from the former love of my life, G**. She first offered her sympathies then we got to talking and catching up with each other over e-mail. It was then that I decided to stop being a baby.

For those of you who don't know, G** is Gen, my former best friend who I loved and pursued for almost four years. It was only when I finally gave up that she figured out that she loved me too (In that way). We tried to make a go of it but things got in the way and we ended on a sour note.

A year later, we made up and she then became the girlfriend of my officemate (they met at my birthday party). Needless to say, I was hurt and really avoided interacting with them for many years.

When Gen and I were talking earlier, it felt nice. And familiar. And comfortable. And I realized that I was in a place and stage in my life that I could be happy for her and her love and maybe we could resume our friendship. I promised her years ago that we would always be friends no matter what.

It's about time I started living up to that.